Communicable Disease Control
Protect the Public’s Health in the area of communicable disease through intervention in a timely manner.
Disease Prevention strives to reduce the incidence of disease in Yuma County. This is accomplished through the efforts of the Epidemiology, Communicable Disease Reporting, HIV Services, Sexually Transmitted Disease and Tuberculosis Control and Prevention staff at Yuma County Public Health Services District.
The Yuma County Public Health Services District Epidemiologist carries out the following activities:
• Tracks and investigates communicable disease cases, (e.g. Pertussis, hepatitis, foodborne illness, etc.), and participates in implementing interventions to stop the spread of disease. Implementation strategies may include education, immunization, quarantine, preventive treatment, and others. For information on how to report a communicable disease, see the information below.
• Investigates and responds to disease outbreaks. Outbreaks could be caused by the consumption of contaminated food or water, by exposure to infected persons or animals, or by other means. Investigations may include requesting restaurant or other site inspections, interviewing patients and contacts, obtaining medical records and specimens, reviewing laboratory results, analyzing statistical data and other tasks. To report a complaint about a food establishment, visit our Environmental Health page.
• Plans for and responds to public health emergencies (e.g. avian influenza, serious weather conditions, and intentional acts, etc.) in coordination with Public Health Preparedness and Response.
• Produces reports and presentations on diseases and health conditions in Yuma County.
• Conducts studies of local public health importance.
Communicable Disease Reporting
Public Health is mandated to control the spread of communicable diseases. Our epidemiologist, nurses, and other investigative staff keep track of the number of cases of each disease in our county. For many illnesses, such as bacterial meningitis, whooping cough, hepatitis and other vaccine preventable diseases as well as enteric illnesses, we assure that preventative or prophylactic treatment is provided to contacts and excludes persons at risk of spreading disease from school, work, or childcare. We also assist the public by providing recommendations for controlling disease spread or exposure in many different settings, and monitor disease patterns in order to stop transmission.
Reporting of suspected or confirmed communicable disease is mandated under the Arizona Administrative Codes known as Title 9 R9-6-202, R9-6-203, and R9-6-204. The primary responsibility for reporting rests with the provider (R9-6-202a), Administrator of a Health Care Institution or Correctional Facility (R-6-202b), Administrator of a School, Child Care Establishment, or Shelter (R9-6-203), and Clinical Laboratories (R9-6-204). Eighty-seven different communicable diseases are reportable to the Yuma County Public Health Services District.
Some reports are received by mail using a special form which can be downloaded by health care providers from this webpage. Other diseases must be reported by telephone within 24 hours (see list of reportable diseases).
If you are not a medical provider, but think you have a communicable disease, please see your health care provider.
Reportable Communicable Diseases links:
Communicable Disease Report form
Matrix of Reportable Diseases
Reporting Requirements for Health Care Providers, Health Care Institutions, and Correctional Facilities
Reporting Requirements for School Administrators, Child Care Establishments, Shelters
Information on Diseases and Conditions
For national health statistics, visit the National Center for Health Statistics website.
For population statistics, visit the U.S. Census Bureau website.
World Health Organization
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
CDC National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System (NNDSS)
Communicable Disease Reporting 24/7 contact number (928) 317-4624
Benito Lopez, Epidemiologist
Yuma County Public Health Services District
2200 West 28th Street
Yuma, AZ 85364
(928) 317-4624 (24/7 Communicable Disease Reporting)
Fax: (928) 317-4620
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Except Legal Holidays.